Bruno Clair is the son of Bernard Clair (1920-2005) and the grandson of Joseph Clair (1889-1971), originator of the famous Domaine Clair-Daü which was founded in Marsannay in 1919. Following Joseph’s death, family disagreements led to the dismantling of the Domaine Clair-Daü in 1985. In 1986, Bruno was entrusted with the vineyards of his parents, brothers and sisters which included those of Clos de Bèze, Cazetiers, Clos St-Jacques, Vosne-Romanée, Clos du Fonteny and Chambolle- Musigny. More vineyards were purchased by the estate in 1993, including Corton- Charlemagne, Pernand-Vergelesses and Aloxe-Corton, and in 1996 Gevrey- Chambertin Petite Chapelle was added to bring the size of the Domaine to more than 23 hectares (56.8326 acres).
Bruno Clair maintains a rigorous selection of the best vines of pinot noir and chardonnay. This selection also concentrates on finding vines that have good resistance to diseases and are free from viruses. With regard to viticulture, Domaine Bruno Clair believes in the total absence of chemical fertilizers and the exclusive use of compost.